Cooling Fan 2 Control Circuit
Table of contents
P0481 AUDI Possible Causes
- Faulty fan control relay
- Faulty cooling fan 2
- Fan control relay harness is open or shorted
- Fan control relay circuit poor electrical connection
- Fan cooling fan harness is open or shorted
- Fan cooling fan circuit poor electrical connection
How do I fix code P0481 AUDI?
Check the “Possible Causes” listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector’s pins.
Cost of diagnosing the P0481 AUDI code
The cost of diagnosing the P0481 AUDI code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary by location, your vehicle’s make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
When is the code detected
The P0481 code is detected when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects that the commanded state of the driver and the actual state of the control circuit do not match.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Engine overheating
P0481 AUDI Description
The electric cooling fan is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM) through the cooling fan relay based on inputs from the following components:
– The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
– The intake air temperature (IAT) sensor
– The A/C selector switch
– The A/C refrigerant pressure sensor
– The vehicle speed sensor (VSS)
The ECM controls the cooling fan by grounding the cooling fan control circuit which turns ON the cooling fan relay. The cooling fan relay will be commanded ON when the following conditions are met:
– The engine coolant temperature reaches 106°C (223°F) or more.
– The A/C clutch requested.
– The vehicle speed is less than 38 MPH.
The cooling fan relay will be commanded ON regardless of vehicle speed when the following conditions are met:
– The engine coolant temperature is 151°C (304°F) or more.
– The A/C refrigerant pressure is high.
The cooling fan may be commanded ON when the engine is not running under a fan run-on conditions described in the electric cooling fan general description portion of the service manual.