Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor ‘A’
Table of contents
P0016 BMW Possible Causes
- Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
- Faulty Crankcase Pressure Sensor
- Mechanical Defect
- Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Crankcase Pressure Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Crankcase Pressure Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
How do I fix code P0016 BMW?
Check the “Possible Causes” listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector’s pins.
Cost of diagnosing the P0016 BMW code
The cost of diagnosing the P0016 BMW code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair labor rates vary by location, your vehicle’s make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repairs shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P0016 BMW Description
This fault code is stored in the engine control module when a synchronization error is detected between the camshaft and crankshaft. The output from both the camshaft and crankshaft sensors is compared and if the signal is outside of specifications then a correlation fault is flagged. The valve timing should be checked before any electrical fault finding is carried out. An oscilloscope can be used to validate the timing. However, some vehicles have a keyless drive on the phonic wheel pickup for the camshaft and/or crankshaft sensor. In this case, the static valve timing may be within specification, but the phonic wheel is out of alignment.